Top 10 tips for looking after your braces
- Do try to take small mouthfuls when eating. If you put too much food in your mouth at one time, you could run the risk of damaging your braces.
- Do brush after EVERY meal, including snacks. This is very important as otherwise plaque can build up and cause cavities.
- Do use disclosing tablets. These can help you identify which parts of your teeth need some extra brushing.
- Do floss. This may seem odd as surely you can't floss with braces on your teeth? The answer is you can, and we'll show you how.
- Do attend all of your appointments with both your dentist and your orthodontist during your treatment time. This is important for the success of your treatment.
- Don't eat hard or sticky food as this can break your braces. See our guide on eating with braces.
- Don't bite your nails. This habit can cause your braces to break, which could lengthen your treatment time. Avoid chewing on the ends of pens and pencils too.
- Don't try to fix your braces by yourself if they have broken. Book an emergency appointment ASAP and use orthodontic wax to cover any sharp edges until your orthodontist can see you.
- Don't play with your braces. Once you get used to wearing them, which should only take a few days, leave them to do their job. This will help ensure your treatment stays on track.
- Play sport, particularly contact sport, without wearing a mouthguard to protect your braces.